Saturday, August 22, 2009

Michael Oher and The Blind Side

Drafted in the first round this year by the Baltimore Ravens, Michael Oher walked a LONG and treacherous route to shine in the NFL spotlight. Oher's story is being told in the new movie, Blind Side, with Sandra Bullock. I saw the preview before The Time Traveler's Wife (which I LOVED, btw) and the preview sparked my interest in Oher. Of course my husband Donnie knew every detail about Oher's journey and filled me in after the show. I have a soft spot in my heart for ANY child who doesn't have love from the time they enter this world, and I still don't understand how a mother (or father, for that matter) can give birth to a child and not love that little being with all their heart and soul!
Michael was not a child from a home full of love. Oher was one of THIRTEEN kids and pretty much was left to fend for himself in a crime-ridden neighborhood. His mother was addicted to drugs and his father had been murdered, so Oher didn't have any parents to love and care for him. He attended 11 different schools in 9 years and bounced from foster home to foster home. Until he came to Briarcrest Christian School, Oher remained under the radar. Watch both youtube clips to see how a child's life can be changed when people who "have it all" open their hearts and their homes to a child whose never known the love of a parent. Stories like these are what should inspire us all to love one another and lead by example...I will DEFINITELY be watching this come November!


No comments:

Post a Comment