Thursday, March 26, 2009

Breakfast Blueberry-Bananna Smoothie

Last summer, I found this recipe in my US Weekly magazine that Kate Hudson's trainer posted to get "Bikini Ready" for summer. Even though I've never been, and probably never will be "Bikini Ready" without medical intervention, this smoothie is still a yummy and healthy breakfast treat! Here is the recipe that I altered a bit from the original:

You will need:

  • 1 cup of almond milk (the vanilla almond milk, with no sweetener added is the best) Almond milk is in the cereal aisle at Walmart and United. I'm sure it is in the same vicinity for other grocery stores.

  • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (protein powder can be found in the vitamin and weight control section of Walmart...not sure about where to find it in United)

  • 1 cup of frozen blueberries

  • 1 cup of frozen strawberries

  • 1 banana

  • 1 packet of Splenda or Truvia sweetener (The original recipe called for guava nectar, but it is very expensive for a small bottle. Yet, if you don't want the chemicals of artificial sweetener in your healthy shake, the aguave nectar is at United in the same aisle as the honey. I've never seen aguave nectar at Walmart.)

Using your blender, blend the almond milk and protein powder together first. Add the banana and blend until smooth. Gradually add the cup of frozen blueberries, blending until smooth. Add your strawberries slowly and gradually, so your blender will not become bogged down and burn out! Taste the smoothie, and if it is sweet enough for you, skip the Splenda or nectar. If you like your smoothies a bit more decadent, add the sweetener of your choice and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Dude....this blog is freaking me out because I am realizing that you & I are a LOT more alike than I thought! Seriously...it's kind of freaking me out! First of all, I make banana/blueberry smoothies all the time, only I add organic oats, olive oil & flax oil. Also, the minty lip gloss...love that stuff, however, I think the minty gloss at Bath & Body Works is a LOT better. It's thicker and more tingly! You should try it. Obviously, I KNOW you'll like it. LOL! Ok, some other things...when you post about random Hollywood gossip (like Kim Kardashian & that dancing chicks stalker) it's all stuff that I have read and found interesting myself. Oh yeah, and I saw those shoes at Target, however, my first thought was "where in the hell would I wear those shoes" and my second thought was "my wide-ass foot would never fit into that." However, if I had a place to wear them and if they would have fit, I totally would have bought them. So, like it or not, you're just like me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you must be really cool and I never realized it! :)

    ReplyDelete