Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What the Teens are Reading...

At least in my classroom, that is! I've been challenging my students to read the books on the Texas Lone Star Reading List that is compiled by the Texas Library Association(click on this link if you would like to read the list that has annotations for each book). If I'm going to make my kids do it, I figure I better get with the program and start reading! Lucky for me, many of the books on the 2009 list are already some of my favorites. The Adoration of Jenna Fox and The Hunger Games are two of my all-time favorite teen reads. Check out the list below and be sure to pick up as many of these titles as you can. Each title is chosen because it is GOOD, so you are guaranteed a satisfying read. If you live in Texas, all public libraries have a set of the 20 books on the list, so you can almost guarantee that you will find at least one of them in stock. I'm starting The Red Necklace tonight and hope to work through as many of these as possible during my Christmas break. Want to read with me? Let's get to work!

Here is the 2009 Texas Lone Star list:

1. Bodeen, S.A. The Compound

2. Brande, Robin. Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature

3. Colfer, Eoin. Airman

4. Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games (It's no secret that this is a favorite of mine!)

5. Connor, Leslie. Waiting for Normal

6. Dowd, Siobahn. The London Eye Mystery

7. Freitas, Donna. The Possibilities of Sainthood

8. Frost, Helen. Diamond Willow.

9. Gardner, Sally. The Red Necklace: A Story of the French Revolution.

10. Haddix, Margaret Peterson. Found (The Missing, Book One).

11. Herlong, M.H. The Great Wide Sea.

12. Higgins, F.E. The Black Book of Secrets.

13. Meehl, Brian. Suck It Up.

14. Pearson, Mary E. The Adoration of Jenna Fox. (LOVE THIS BOOK! See my review of it here.)

15. Pfeffer, Susan Beth. The Dead and the Gone.

16. Shusterman, Neal. Antsy Does Time.

17. Shusterman, Neal. Unwind.

18. Smith, Roland. I, Q.: Independence Hall.

19. Ziegler, Jennifer. How Not to be Popular.

1 comment:

  1. The Hunger Games is also a favorite of mine. I can't wait for book 3 which is rumored to be called the victors. Which I think sounds like a cool title. The movie which comes out in 2011 should also be rather interesting.

    http://themockingjay.vndv.com


    http://themockingjay.vndv.com/forums

    ReplyDelete