Sunday, July 5, 2009

5 Factor Fitness...Simple, Effective, Not Necessarily Easy!


Let's face it, if you want to be in-shape, you have to work for it. Much like having cavity free teeth requires brushing and attention from you each day, your body requires the same amount of notice. Muscles are not tightened by magic pills and fat never magically melts away while you lay on the couch and watch Desperate Housewives. It takes daily dedication, and sometimes that fact simply sucks. I'll be the first to admit that I take MONTHS off of the workout grind, but I always come back because of what happens to my body when I stop paying attention to it. I've never been able to starve myself, and that will never give me the long term results of acquiring the healthy body I desire. Being a mother has taught me that "thin" is never the goal..."healthy" should be, and after two kids stretching out my belly, I'll never be in a two piece without medical intervention as it is!

Harley Pasternak has a simple workout that I've blogged about before called 5 Factor Fitness. It is a weight training program combined with a cardio plan. Many people operate under the notion that lifting before they've lost weight will only "build muscle under fat", there by making them look bigger. I think that is the dumbest myth out there. Lifting builds lean muscle, and unless you are taking illegal steroids, you are not going to bulk up like The Incredible Hulk. Maybe The American Gladiators television show scared women away from weights for that reason, but that fear is irrational and false.

Go buy the paperback copy of Harley's book, a set of 5lb, 10lb, and 15lb dumbbells, a jump rope, and you are ready to reshape your body, no gym membership required. I am on my 4th week, and have already seen much-needed changes in my body. I would love to say that this workout is a breeze, but any good workout is not easy! It is challenging, but doable, and I leave my garage (where I've set up my work out station) sweating like a whore in church. It's a great way to start my day! Muscles are firm, I've lost inches and a bit of weight, and everything fits better, which is one of my major goals. Give it a whirl and let me know if you like the program as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment