Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Twilight Graphic Novel!

The artwork by Young Kim is beautiful!

I LOVE graphic novels. Maybe my Archie Comics collection in elementary school started me on the path to graphic novels, but I love how they tell a story with art and words combined. I have many students that live for graphic novels and rarely read anything else. When my Entertainment Weekly featured the cover and a few pages of the Twilight graphic novel, which will be released March 16th, I hadn't heard a thing about the project and was very excited by the beautiful pictures by artist, Young Kim. Stephenie also reveals that she worked very closely with Kim, who drew the pictures true to Stephenie's imagined vision of the characters. Here is a snippet of the EW interview with Meyer, but click on the cover above to read the accompanying article.

The text of your original novel is boiled down so carefully that it doesn’t feel like anything is missing. Were you the one who did that?

I was definitely involved. I didn’t do the original “script” for the book, so to speak. But when I got the dialogue with the images, I did a lot of tinkering. In a couple of places, I asked for missing scenes to be inserted. For example, the conversation in the car that Bella and Edward have after she faints in Biology.

How does the feeling of reading the graphic novel compare to that of reading the original? Does it bring something new to the experience for you?

For me, it takes me back to the days when I was writing Twilight. It’s been a while since I was really able to read Twilight; there is so much baggage attached to that book for me now. It seems like all I can see are the mistakes in the writing. Reading Young’s version brought me back to the feeling I had when I was writing and it was just me and the characters again. I love that. I thank her for it.

When this project is done, are you done with Twilight?

I can’t say that I am done with Twilight forever. I’m not working on anything new Twilight-related now, and probably not for a while. But there’s still a possibility that I’ll go back and close some of the open doors.

Even though these images supposedly mirror Stephenie's imagined Edward, I think Robert Pattinson is a much better and hotter Edward than this Ken Doll-lookin' EC.

No comments:

Post a Comment