Sunday, February 7, 2010

'Bloodroot' by Amy Greene


Sorry to my regular fans who come to this site everyday. I've been M.I.A. lately, due to the craziness that is my job. The Spring semester always kills me for some reason, but I'm starting to pull my head above the water and will do a better job of updating! Speaking of updates, I've actually been reading BOOKS again. I know, craziness! I'm wierd and go through reading "spurts" that I can't explain. I'll go two weeks without touching one and then read three books in that same amount of time. My brain has been sluggish lately and I need a book that would lube the gears a bit more than my regular brand of teen fiction has been. I always try to stick to teen fiction during the school year so I can help my 8th graders find books they enjoy, but I needed a book with a bit more depth this go around. Everyone knows my love for Entertainment Weekly magazine, and I read a great review for the new novel, Bloodroot by Amy Greene.

Bloodroot is a perfect storm of literary devices and imaginative writing. Amy Greene may be a new novelist, but you can't tell from her debut novel. Using the perspectives of SIX different characters, Greene manages to conjure a consuming and devastating love story that kept me thinking for days about it's characters after reading the last delectable page. I know a book is good stuff if I'm running through the plot in my head while doing my grocery shopping or vacuuming my carpet!

This may be a story about love, but it is not LOVABLE or a tale that makes you feel warm and gushy inside. The synopsis from Barnes and Noble does a better job of giving you insight into what the book is about:

Told in a kaleidoscope of voices, Bloodroot is at once a moving exploration of familial love and the story of an incendiary romance that consumes everyone in its path: Myra Lamb, a wild young girl with mysterious "haint" blue eyes who grows up on remote Bloodroot Mountain; her grandmother, Byrdie Lamb, who protects Myra fiercely and passes down "the touch" that bewitches people and animals alike; the neighbor boy who longs for Myra but is destined never to have her; Myra's children, who must reckon with all that they have inherited from their mother; and John Odom, the young man who tries to tame Myra and meets with disaster.

The love between Myra and John is a consuming one, and usually those relationships that consume us, destroy us.

No comments:

Post a Comment