Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Sookie Stackhouse Series

I didn't start this book series until I became addicted to the HBO TV show: True Blood. Let me tell you, these books are not for the faint of heart! If you are embarassed by certain intimate scenes between characters or do not have much of an imagination pertaining to the supernatural world, you will not like these books. They really are my own guilty pleasure, and they can embarass even me!
Sookie Stackhouse, a blond, tan, and simple waitress from the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps, leads a normal life until Bill Compton strolls into Merlotte's, the bar she waitresses. Falling in love with a vampire can mean trouble, but when you are a good looking telepathic waitress, love is very hard to come by! (How would you like knowing what your date is thinking about you? She can't read vampire thoughts, so Bill is sweet relief to her brain and very easy on the eyes, too!). Bill introduces Sookie to a world she never knew existed, and a love-life she never thought she would experience.
Each book takes Sookie on new adventures and has so many twists and turns, it's a wonder Charlaine Harris (the series author), can think of so many amazing and unimaginable shennanigans for Sookie! The book series is so addictive and fascinating, it has even spawned a television series, True Blood on HBO. Again, it is VERY risque and raunchy...just warning my more innocent readers.
If you've ever watched the TV series that the books inspired, you will have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about with the sex and violence. I blush as I type this review, because I usually don't enjoy reading stuff so "out there"! I'm not even sure why I've enjoyed reading a series that is so out of my comfort-zone of reading, but I will admit that I flew through the first nine books in two weeks. Two Weeks!
So if you are wanting a guilty pleasure for the summer, Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels are you best bet. I eagerly awaited the realease of the most recent book, Dead and Gone, and downloaded it at midnight on it's release date this past week. I read it in one stinkin' day, and can't wait until the next book, A Touch of Dead to be released on October 6th. This website, http://www.bestfantasystories.com/ will give you a complete list and synopsis of each Sookie book if you are interested in learning more about Sookie Stackhouse's escapades in the vampire, fairy, and werewolf world! Not to be compared to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga, because Sookie and her friends are more of an R-rated version of that vampire world...OH MY! Click on the picture of books below:



Check out the HBO website for True Blood. You can now rent the first season and catch up before the new episodes start in June. Click on the picture of Bill and Sookie below, then click on "watch" for a brief synopsis of the first episode, which follows the first two books:

Can't wait to see more of Bill and Eric!

No comments:

Post a Comment