Monday, September 7, 2009

Wuthering Heights Capitalizing on Twilight Craze


I'm not sure how some of you might feel about this:
Entertainment Weekly recently featured new covers of the classic Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte that is referenced several times throughout the Twilight Saga. Some fuddy-duddies might cringe at the notion of taking a classic book and tweaking the cover to mirror Twilight Saga covers, but I think it is a great way to pull teen readers into the classics. I love Wuthering Heights, but wouldn't have picked it up at a book store unless my English Lit professor hadn't made it required reading. Maybe covers like these will entice teens to pick the novel up and give it a try? I do wish that the images contained pictures of a sweeping valley of a moor or some other image that is symbolic to the novel. What do you thing? Is tampering with a classic deplorable or a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment