© 2010 skellingt0n: Fan imagining of a
The Hunger Games movie poster (DeviantArt)
Isn't this fan-made movie poster AWESOME??? Notice how Katniss and I are mirroring poses in my costume pic. Ha!
If you've frequented my blog, you know that all things concerning The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins dominates most of my posts. I can't help it. I LOVE the book and series, and I'm estatic that I can teach the novel to my junior high students! Today in class we were discussing Katniss and her character traits, and I off-handedly mentioned that she was my favorite female character in teen fiction. My students didn't miss a beat and decided to turn the tables on their teacher, asking, "What makes Katniss your favorite?" Here's a David Letterman-style top ten list detailing why Miss Everdeen is beating out her teen ficiton counterparts for Top Teen Heroine (in my mind):
10. She's a bad Mamma-Jamma. Do you want to mess with a chick who can shoot a squirrel through its eye from fifty meters away? I think not.
9. She can sleep in a tree. Who can do that? Seriously?
8. Raw rabbit meat and pine bark: it's whats for dinner!
7. She is literally "The Girl on Fire".
6. Boys do not define her - they fight over her! (And...they are HOT BOYS...who bake...and kill things. ;)
5. Haymitch is her homeboy.
4. She refrains from punching Effie in the face throughout the duration of the trilogy.
3. Pig. Apple. Arrow. 'Nuff said!
2. Peeta loves her. I love what Peeta loves!
1. She could kick the snot out of Bella Swan. (We know I love Twilight, but you have to admit, Bella is one whiney chick!)
Picture by graysee at deviantart.com