Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fan of 'The Hunger Games'? Check Out More of Our Fan T-Shirts!

It's no secret that I'm a HUGE, GINORMOUS fan of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I teach it, I dress like Katniss in my spare time, and I've personally converted many, many 8th graders to the dark side! I LOVE THIS BOOK, and I hope my students continue to spread the word...I think the popularity of this book is definitely 'Catching Fire'...har, har, har! Instead of a final exam over The Hunger Games, my students were required to design a fan t-shirt based on their favorite characters, scenes, or memorable quotes from the novel. I was blown away by the variety and quality of the designs. My room will probably be forever covered in fabric paint, but it was well-worth the mess. The students wore their t-shirt on our field trip to Barnes & Noble, where they participated in a scavenger hunt that the winner won a copy of Catching Fire, the second book in Suzanne Collins's series. I'm planning on hosting a Mockingjay party on August 24th at Barnes & Noble. I hope to have tons of freshman returning to B&N to purchase the third book...let's hope they aren't "too cool" by August 24th for their 8th grade Reading teacher! ;)
This young man is CONVINCED that Megan Fox should play the part of Katniss. Ugh.
I love this kid. When a gal doesn't mind having the word "pus" on her shirt, you know she's a keeper!

A Peeta fan, apparently!

Simple, but cool shirts!


"Loverboy" is Peeta...I thought that was clever and cute! "Cinna Told Me to Wear This Shirt" was more than likely 'borrowed' from another fan t-shirt site.

Hmmmm....how do I explain this set of shirts? I can't. They were made by 8TH GRADE BOYS. Does that help at all??? LOL!

5 comments:

  1. These are awesome!!!!! I'm a huge Peeta fan myself. I'm an Edward fan when it comes to Twilight because she falls in love with him first and he's truly her soul mate...but when it comes to Hunger Games, I'm a Peeta fan. I'm actually more torn between Peeta and Gale because she has such a strong connection with Gale but I feel like she actually falls in love with Peeta. Gosh it's tricky. I can't wait to see what happens in Mockingjay...I'm not sure she can really "choose" or even end up with either Peeta or Gale. Ah! Can't wait! Thanks for sharing the t-shirts, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is an awesome idea. I'm going to try something like this with my students this coming school year. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I've linked this entry in my Mockingjay Madness post. Feel free to check it out!

    http://derapsreads.blogspot.com/2010/08/mockingjay-madness.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! It was so much fun! We looked at shirts from other subjects that have tons of fans. Of course, there were plenty of Twilight shirts to look at, but I wanted them to not go for the obvious. It took a few of them awhile to understand that merely transfering the mockingjay logo to a shirt wasn't the most creative way to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, and Mrs. DeRaps, thanks for the shout out! Let me know if you do the t-shirt thing. I would love to see what your class comes up with !

    ReplyDelete
  5. he he he...so cool! luv every one of them! i'm also a Peeta fan!

    ReplyDelete