Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Hunger Games Movie Cast - Haymitch Abernathy

My 8th grade classes are reading The Hunger Games this six weeks, and we've been working on visualization. As a part of that process, I'm having them visualize characters according to their traits supplied by the author. However, we are also creating a "Dream Cast" that we would like to see in The Hunger Games movie. A lot of you have criticized my Dream Cast for The Hunger Games movie that my students came up with last year, so I'm sure you will have a lot to say about this years suggestions! Keep in mind that teens do not have any desire to visualize "unknown actors" for this movie. They like big-name stars because it is much easier for them to see the characters in their mind, versus simply creating new person in their head.


This brings me to their first suggestion for our 2010 The Hunger Games Dream Cast - Will Smith for Haymitch Abernathy. Before you say, "heck no, Haymitch is supposed to be white", keep in mind that Suzanne Collins only describes him a few times in The Hunger Games as being "a paunchy, middle-aged man". I don't have my Catching Fire book here to directly quote the other description of Haymitch I remember, but I do recall her mentioning something about him having an athletic figure. That by looking at him, you can tell that he was a strong young man during his time in The Games. So I ask you, why NOT Will Smith? Will is in his early forties, and for some, that is considered "middle aged", especially if you live in The Seam. He played a harsh, yet somehow lovable drunk in Hancock, and I think would be a great addition to The Hunger Games movie by bringing star power AND credibility to the storyline. Smith is traditionally known to pick quality roles, so his selection of the role of Haymitch would greatly tout the script and film as being one of quality. Just think about it for awhile...picture Will as Haymitch, loud, drunk, and troubled. It COULD HAPPEN!

See how Will has naturally graying hair in this picture? With the proper wardrobe and makeup, he could easily be Haymitch. He might have to lay off the weights for a few months, but he could be a perfect Haymitch if you gave him a chance!

Click HERE to see The Hunger Games cast list chosen by Entertainment Weekly fans!

7 comments:

  1. I really like that you've come up with a suggestion that's outside the square. I can see it working.

    I kind of have Haymitch as a Robert Downey Jnr in my mind, but I like the way you think

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, NOT Will Smith. I have to go with Jacqui. Robert Downey Jr. FTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pictured Haymitch as Hugh Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, i could totally see Will Smith as Haymitch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! *waves* I'm your newest follower! I just found your blog when I was searching for Hunger Games! And So far I just love your blog, It's just so cute and awesome! And I totally see Will Smith as Haymitch! :)

    http://cafeofanswers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i guess i wouldnt kill myself if it was him, but i think hugh laurie fitst the role perfectly- he's satirical and can act drunk and looks the part- i think HES PERFECT. hes also kinda old now too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't say he's too young to play Haymitch by any means (Haymitch is only 40-41 in the books, although I know he would look older, having lived the hard drinking life for the past 24 years), but you're wrong in saying that Suzanne Collins doesn't describe Haymitch physically. He's supposed to have the Seam colouring, like Katniss and Gale. Gray eyes, dark hair and I think in her description of him as a teenager, his hair is curly. It follows that he would also be olive-skinned like the average Seam citizen, whereas the town-bred people are almost all fair and blue-eyed and blonde. (Katniss' mother, Peeta, Madge and her mother and aunt, I think even Delly Cartwright is blonde?)

    The thing I don't get is why hardly anybody has been able to come up with a candidate that could be described as "paunchy". Don't tell me there's a shortage of actors with a beer belly!

    ReplyDelete